Friday, May 20, 2011

Sara Logic 101

This afternoon, I attended Emily's fifth-grade graduation, which, I admit, was a little surreal. The program was sweet, and Emily was recognized for several accomplishments over the past year. After the program, the Northern Hills Elementary senior class made its way to UCO for the Fifth Grade Field Games. It was still 25 minutes early, but I went ahead and checked Sara out and took her home for a little one-on-one time. Lately, Emily is involved in so much, I feel like Sara has been lost in the shuffle sometimes.

I fixed her some popcorn and poured her an apple juice. We played Sorry and Connect Four and had the house to ourselves for a couple of hours, and it was fabulous. At one point, I caught her wiping her hands off on her shirt, and I reminded her to go get a napkin for the umpteenth time. At this, she raised an eyebrow. "You know, I'd rather have dirty clothes than be responsible for death," she said matter-of-factly, shrugging her shoulders.

I stared. "I beg your pardon?"

She sighed, clearly exasperated. "Well, I think it's much better to get my clothes messy than to waste a paper napkin. A tree had to die to make that napkin, and trees produce oxygen. By using a paper napkin, I'm not only killing the tree, I'm taking someone's oxygen," she explained patiently. I could see the wheels turning. That Mommy, she can be awfully slow on the uptake sometimes...

I opened my mouth to say something, and realized I couldn't exactly argue with her logic...partly because I was speechless. Score: Fifteen-love, advantage Sara.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'd better not tell this one to the girls. Ben is ALWAYS telling them to go for napkins... we do a lot of "death" around here.

    ReplyDelete