Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Life With Sara...

I keep meaning to tell my seven-year-old that she's only seven...that she is not, in fact, a thirtysomething divorcee living in New York with a cat and an attitude that comes from working too many nights as a cocktail waitress while she tries to sell her novel. But I have a hunch she wouldn't believe me, even if I told her...and that's okay, because she's been this way since birth, and I wouldn't know what the hell to do if she suddenly started acting like an actual first grader...

Sara perfected the eye roll at the astonishingly young age of 18 months. She is NOBODY'S fool. She knows what she wants, and she sets out to get it. When she decided she wanted her ears pierced at 3, I explained how it was done and that it would hurt. She was undeterred, and she sat still and didn't shed a tear as they did first one ear, and then the other. "Now, give me a mirror," she instructed matter-of-factly after the second earring was in place.

Tonight, she was relaying an exchange with a classmate at school. "My friend Laura's parents are looking for a bigger house, one with at least four bedrooms," she tells us. "I told her that MY parents are renovating a house to flip and that I'd make them a good deal."

On second thought, maybe she won't have trouble selling that novel, after all...









3 months old and thoroughly unimpressed...





 My girl today!

2 comments: