Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Babypalooza!

Two of my closest friends have been blessed with beautiful baby girls in the past week. It's funny...they were due 4 weeks apart, and instead, their babies were born 4 days apart. I don't get to bring home any more baby girls, but I'm happy to watch the people I love getting to know their daughters. It's hard to believe that I was there once upon a time...sort of. Lisa and Shana are a little older and a whole lot wiser than I was at 23 when I hatched Emily. I still vividly recall being handed my firstborn in the hospital and bursting into helpless tears. "I don't know what to do!" I wailed to the dumbstruck nurse, who finally recovered and assured me I would get the hang of it...and I did eventually gain a measure of confidence--which promptly flew out the window when I realized both kids were much smarter than I am.

I am confident that Shana and Lisa will get the hang of it much faster than I did...Lisa already has a sweet little boy at home. And I realize they'll get more than enough unsolicited advice, but this is my blog, so here is mine:

1) Don't rush. It seems like yesterday that I was in your shoes, nursing a baby through many a sleepless night, and now I'm buying bras and going to middle school parent orientation night. While I don't exactly miss those days, I won't get them back, just like I won't get these back...as much as I'm tempted to hurry Emily through adolescence, and just get it over with, already.

2) Love her! Tell them--and show them--often! And that doesn't just mean lots of hugs and kisses. Set boundaries. Remember that you're her mother, not her friend. That's not to say that you can't break it down to the Black Eyed Peas together in the kitchen or let her play with your makeup and heels. It just means that when she refuses to eat her vegetables, you have to convince her that you know what's best for her. (Because you do!) Your job is to teach her how to live in the real world, where not everything is exactly how you want it...and while you can't begin to imagine it now, eventually you're going to want her to move out of your house and live in that world.

3) Stay Calm. If you freak out, I can promise you, she will, too. Don't micromanage, and don't get hung up on things that aren't important. If she wants to wear a Cinderella ball gown every day for more than a year, let her. Who knows, you may have one of Broadway's biggest stars on your hands!

4) Let Her Make Mistakes. If you don't, she won't learn how to fix them. Just be ready to help her figure it out if she asks for your advice. (How do you get her to ask your advice? See above.)

Shana and Lisa, you are in for the adventure of a lifetime! Enjoy every step, and let me come along and play from time to time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment