Friday, June 7, 2013

Insomnia Chronicles Part I

So, it seems sleeping is something I've given up again for the time being...and I guess that's okay. I admit there's a lot on my mind. For example, my daughter is going on her first date this weekend...if that isn't worthy of a little sleep deprivation, what is? Did I mention that her boyfriend's name is Richard? And that he asked for her phone number because they were both wearing deadmau5 shirts? Shit, this kid doesn't stand a chance with me....

She's very cute in her happy bubble. Tonight, she started giggling because of a sweet text he sent. Don't worry, I'm not going to burst it. I'm not going to tell her that it gets a lot more complicated the older you get. The thing is, it's also every bit as wonderful when you meet someone and you click, no matter how old you are. It doesn't matter that you both have a few quirks. It doesn't matter if there's baggage. What matters is that you see something wonderful in someone and you want to be around them so you can find out more. Maybe that starts with a deadmau5 t-shirt. Maybe it's something else...but whatever it is, I hope she doesn't ignore a spark just because she's scared or because it maybe isn't perfect on the surface. I've done that more times than I can count, and you know what? You always wonder. But at the end of the day,  it isn't about everything being perfect...it's about finding someone who still wants to stick around when they know you're NOT...and wanting them with you in spite of the mess. Now THAT'S a beautiful dream.

If only I could sleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment