Sunday, June 9, 2013

First Date

I just sent my eigth-grader off on her first date....her boyfriend is a gangly, dark-haired, freckled boy named Richard. (Yes. His name is actually Richard. And he's also 13.) She was just picked up by Richard and his parents, to be dropped off at Kickingbird Theater for the next two hours and forty-two minutes, because I'm nice enough to allow for preview time. This is nerve-wracking on dozens of different levels and for several reasons...not the least of which is because I remember this exact scenario all too vividly.

Still, I think when we look back on this day, what will best be remembered are the introductions.  I didn't hear the bell, and Emily answered the door to find Richard and his father standing on the front porch. Sara comes running into my room. "He's heeeeeeere!" she whispers at regular volume. I head down the hall to find Emily standing shyly in the entry way, the front door open, and Richard and his father on my front walk.

"Hi, I'm Shannon," I say, shaking hands with The Boy's father. I am knocked slightly aside as Roger, our 6-month-old, 70-something pound puppy, barrels out the front door.

"Oh, shit!" Emily blurts, taking off after the dog.

Can you feel that awkward silence?

I smile at The Boy and his stunned father. She's SO mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment