Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Utterly Irreplaceable...and yet, Imperfect...

I am blessed to have many wonderful friends in my life...but we all have that very small handful of people we simply COULDN'T do without. Today I got into an argument with one of those people. Someone I would trust with my life, who knows everything there is to know about me--and I'm talking the good, the bad, and the REALLY ugly--someone who has made me laugh at my lowest points, who has listened to me cry when there was nothing to do but listen and be there, and someone who has trusted me the very same way. Not only did I get into an argument with that person, but I started it...in a really bitchy, self-serving sort of way, when I know this person already has enough on their plate without adding me to it. When the dust settled, we were both bleeding pretty heavily, but it was me who fired the first shot, without question.

I always try to be a big girl and take responsibility when I'm wrong. Today, I was wrong. Today, I kind of sucked. Today I regret beyond explanation. I will try to do better tomorrow. I can only hope to be forgiven for today, and pray that no permanent scars were left. For as BIG as I screwed up today, my love and respect for this person is at least a thousand times bigger than that...

3 comments:

  1. Dear friend. We have all behaved in the ways you so eloquently describe. Some of us very recently. The thing that sets you apart from the rest of us is that you have voiced your regret and pain for those actions. You have spoken up... not just to the one you hurt, but to all of your friends (and of course Jay Leno & Chelsae Handler). You are a brave and beautiful person. And you are loved.

    BTW Don't even try that crap with me I'll bring it right back atcha!!! ;o) ((HUGS))) to you and your friend, sending prayers and peace to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, honey...but I really don't deserve your kindness, as much as I appreciate it. By the way, the post title refers to the relationship itself, not to the person of whom I speak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. True friendships have ups and downs....the closer the friend the higher the ups....and, with that...the lower the downs. But a strong friendship WILL survive! It takes a big person to admit they were wrong, very few people can apologize so honestly for something they have done. I am blessed to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete