Friday, January 4, 2013

Lincoln, Les Mis, and Lisa

I am blessed with the privilege of hanging out with one of my best friends four days a week at the office. I met Lisa about five years ago, when she came through as a fourth-year pharmacy student on rotation, and she and I quickly realized we practically shared the same brain.

Our tastes in all things are so uncannily similar...food, music, books, movies, parenting styles, and politics...you name it...we probably agree on it. We are both bookworms and history nerds. We both have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and a left-leaning take-everything-with-a-grain-of-salt outlook on the world. It goes without saying that I value her opinions, and vice versa.

Movies are no exception.

A few weeks ago, Michael and I went to see Lincoln. I have long been fascinated with Number 16, both for the tremendous role he played in our country's history as a leader, as well as for the behind-the-scenes stories of his life and his family. How inspiring to be able to overcome so much personal tragedy and see such misery and still have such a great impact on an entire nation...it takes me months to recover from a bad breakup, for God's sake...what the hell made THIS guy tick? I'm still not sure...but Daniel Day-Lewis clearly knows. I have seldom seen any actor so perfectly embody his character in a film the way he did. The performance was so good that I forgot--at times--that I was watching an actor's portrayal of a man who has been dead for nearly 150 years. Daniel Day-Lewis managed to resurrect him on the big screen.

As I left the theater, I sent Lisa a text. She saw the movie the following week and gave a nearly identical review.

The following week, she came in insisting that I proceed to the nearest theater to see Les Miserables...and although I'm usually not a HUGE fan of musicals in general, and Les Mis historically isn't one of my favorite shows, I went, mostly because she told me to.

Wow.

It's a good thing Daniel Day-Lewis and Anne Hathaway won't have to compete for the same award. I mean, seriously, who knew the girl had THAT in her? The movie is a great adaptation and is visually stunning, and Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean is impressive as all-get-out...but every other performance in that film--and most of them are strong performances--pales in comparison to hers. The desperation and misery of Fantine are felt in every word and every note she sings. I have little doubt this will be the role she is always remembered for best.

I think next up should be Silver Linings Playbook...we'll let you know what we think. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment