Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12.12.12

Thirteen years ago today, I woke up on a Saturday morning, feeling just a little off. Brian was still working at the jewelry store, and had opted not to wake me before he left for work early that morning, as he was deep in the throes of the Christmas rush that once consumed our lives from Black Friday to Christmas Eve. When I finally heaved my heavily pregnant and virtually unrecognizable form out of bed, I was already running behind...my dear friend Jamy was getting married in Okarche that afternoon, and I was excited for her. I shrugged off the strangeness that I couldn't quite place. After all, two weeks before your due date, everything is a little strange, right?

I lumbered into the shower of our one tiny bathroom, and opted to forgo shaving my legs to make up the lost time. My dress was a long blue column shape, so I instead touched up my ankles and calves and figured I would get to the rest later. I had bowed out of bridesmaid duty, though I had been honored to be asked...my due date was just a little too iffy, and I had been afraid of leaving Jamy in the lurch. I had promised to help with the reception and whatever else I was needed for the day of the big event.

Brian arrived home around noon, and stopped short."Honey, are you okay? You don't look quite right..." he tells me uncertainly. I shrugged off his concerns, told him I felt a little strange, but I was fine. I wasn't missing this wedding for anything! Just before we left, I got a somewhat unexpected call from my parents, who were still living in Iowa at the time. They were en route to Oklahoma, 3 days ahead of schedule. My father was clearly perplexed by this, but being early makes him tremendously happy, so he hadn't argued with my mother's fierce insistance.

"She will be born on the 12th," Mom told me matter-of-factly. I laughed and shook my head, dismissing the idea. I still had nearly two weeks to go, and first babies aren't early! Everyone knows that! So I told them to drive safely...they were planning to spend the night in Ponca City at my grandmother's house and would head to the city in the morning. With everything squared away, we set out for Okarche, a 45 minute drive consisting primarily of bumpy country roads.

We arrived shortly before the ceremony, and I went in to give the bride a hug, determined to hold the smile on my face in spite of not feeling well. Our good friend Becky was a bridesmaid, and threw her arms around me in greeting, but stepped back quickly, giving me an odd look. "You okay?" she asked. (Becky was a nurse in an obstetrician's office at the time.) "Fine!" I said, smiling. I filed into the church and took my seat with Brian.

Soon, the big show began, and I was caught up in the ceremony. I've always loved Catholic weddings, and today was no exception. With an Episcopal background, it was easy to follow along, and during the first prayer, I pulled out the kneeling bench beneath the pew. Brian looked at me in alarm as I lowered myself to pray. When it ended, I stood...and as I did, I felt something trickle down my leg.


Nooooooooooooooooo.....!


For the remainder of the ceremony, every time I raised myself from a kneeling position, it happened again. Finally, the priest joyfully intorduced Mr. and Mrs. John Purdue, and as the newlyweds walked out, I was hot on their heels, making my way to the bathroom. I stopped and grabbed Becky's hand, pulling her in with me. I made sure the door was closed securely behind us, and hissed, "I'm leaking something!"

Although I'm sure she was amused by my 23-year-old naivete, she patiently explained the possibilities to me. (i.e., either you're leaking amniotic fluid or peeing on yourself.) She felt my belly, and when it tightened slightly, she frowned. "You might want to go to the hospital...I think your water has probably broken." She explained that the baby's head was probably blocking the way, preventing a big rush of fluid.

I processed this information slowly, weighing my options. I was in no pain, and had promised Jamy I would help with her reception. Plus, there were so many people there we both knew, and the last thing I wanted to do was steal the thunder of this beautiful bride. Quickly, I decided. I was staying. "Don't say anything," I warned Becky, as we walked to the reception. "Even to Brian."

In the reception hall, I joined the table that seemed to be unofficially designated for Pharmacy Co-Workers of the Bride. We chatted for awhile, and at one point, my boss's wife, Kristin, asked me if I was feeling okay. "Fine!" I assured her. When it was time to cut the cake, I made my way to the cake table and was greeted by the caterer. "You're Shannon?" I nodded numbly, and accepted the knife and server she handed, and began slicing and handing out groom's cake as guests went through the line. I was starting to cramp a little, but was able to ignore it as I watched the bride and groom cutting up on the dance floor. Everyone was having a blast.

When the last of the guests had been served, Brian came up and took my hand for a slow song. I shuffled clumsily on the floor, unable to gain my bearings. I finally whispered that I thought I was in labor. For those who know him well, Brian isn't exactly one to have a big reaction...to anything. "Should we go?" he asked, barely raising an eyebrow.

It was announced that the bride and groom would be heading to the getaway car soon, so I agreed to duck out a few minutes early. I went and gave Jamy and John a hug and congratulated them, apologizing for leaving a few minutes early, and claiming total exhaustion. We made our way to the car. It had just gotten dark. "So, are we headed to Mercy?" Brian asked.

I looked at him incredulously. "No way! I'm going home to get my bag first...plus, I still have to shave my legs!" You know, of course, that's exactly what we did.

It was nearly 8 pm when we checked in to Mercy, where the nurses confirmed I was dilated, contracting, and that my water HAD, in fact, broken. Once I got settled in, I called my grandmother's house, and by now it was almost 9 pm. "So, it turns out I'm in labor," I told my mother.

"I KNEW IT!" she shouted triumphantly, while simultaneously telling my dad to put the suitcases back in the car, because they were driving to Oklahoma City. They made record time.

Emily Kathryn did NOT. She joined us at 8:18 Sunday morning, December 12. Just like Nana said. (I DID call Jamy that morning to congratulate her on a beautiful wedding and wish her well on her honeymoon. "Oh, and by the way, I had a baby.") I have never forgotten her anniversary.

That morning, I began the greatest adventure of my life...and now our little wild card is becoming a teenager on 12.12.12. Happy Birthday, Emily! You've come a long way, baby!






No comments:

Post a Comment