Monday, April 11, 2011

Mama's Girl

She is seven and she is ME...Sara keeps a diary.  It's pink, and she's been writing in it since she turned six.  The earliest entries are in crayon, written in all caps, but the spelling and punctuation are actually pretty good.  She talks about how she loves everyone in her family, but she's really Mama's girl. <3<3 She talks about our cats, her best friend Katelyn, her rock collection, and her hobbies...and she talks about how much she loves to write.  The latest entries are in pen, and include poems that she's written.  She's too little to know that diaries are typically private, and being the Mama's girl that she is, she loves to share her ideas with me...I even spotted the boy's name written inside a heart on a page near the end...but I didn't mention it.

I wonder if she'll reach a point where she NEEDS to write to stay sane?  Where she has so much on her mind, she has to write it down to sort it out?  Where she needs a pen in her hand to solve a problem?  I don't remember when that happened...rather, I don't remember NOT operating that way...in the early days of elementary school, my favorite toy was my electric typewriter.  Talk about a classic word nerd...now I can't help but wonder.  Will she turn out exactly like me?  (God help us all! A smart mouth and a big vocabulary can be a dangerous combination!)

Yesterday afternoon, this is what I found her doing in the backyard:

No comments:

Post a Comment