Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dear Ex...

Apparently, there is some confusion about the text I sent you last week, so allow me to clear that up.

I said "happy birthday."

Because it was your birthday.

Much like it was my birthday last month, when you texted me happy birthday. Remember how I responded? I said "thanks!"

I didn't say we should go get a drink. I didn't say that I missed you. I didn't take your birthday greeting as an invitation of any kind...I didn't read anything into it. For some reason, though, when I texted "happy birthday," I'm pretty sure you somehow registered that as "we should hook up soon." Is this some rare form of dyslexia? I mean, it would have to be, seeing as how you know I've been seeing someone for quite awhile...

Tell you what. If you really need to find a hidden meaning in my message, let me help you out. "Happy birthday" may also be taken as "I don't hate that you exist." This in addition to my sincere wish that your day is pleasant.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment