Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why Online Dating is a Bad Idea...vol. 1

Let me start by saying that while I may have dipped my toe into the slimy brown murk that is the online dating pool back in the early days after my divorce, I haven't gone there in a very long time, and for good reason...you see, I learned a few things during my brief but horrifying tenure on match.com: people are.....well.....they're just ridiculous.

Take this guy:

First, many thanks to my dear friend A for providing this picture from her pof inbox...now, let's discuss. Since when is Gym Shorts Wood (appropriately, GSW) something one wants to advertise? Not only to advertise, but to broadcast to a wide audience of total strangers via your pof profile? Classy. What self-respecting girl isn't going to jump all over THAT?? I mean, okay, maybe you're just dumpster diving for a Miley Cyrus type to hook up with...but GSW in your profile picture?! As if a shirtless profile picture isn't douchey enough, this asshole has to up the ante with a f***ing photo collage of his finest asshattery?

I understand that intimacy in the age of digital media is sort of a joke...people meet online, text for awhile, exchange pictures, and then meet for dinner...riiiiiiiight. At least there's something "real" about meeting someone in a bar. I'll take that any day...but to post a picture of your d*** in your online dating profile, right next to, "hi, my name is....??" I know for a fact there are a few nice girls on there...intelligent, beautiful, nice girls even...girls who might even want to know something about you as a person...not just as the owner of GSW. To these girls, you are a joke. A caricature. Obviously...after all, it was one of those girls who provided your photo as afternoon fodder, and we've been laughing at you since...and in fact, that utter ridiculousness is what landed you here.

After Miley's "performance" at the VMAs I wanted to scream. I'm thankful my daughters do not look up to her, but it is clearly not only girls that are lacking in self-respect. What kills me is this is the shit that awaits them in the dating world. Guys, resist the urge to post your GSW online. At least save it for a text message AFTER you've established some sort of rapport...it's the classy thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can think of is, does he work out at MY gym? Does he clean the equipment when he's done? And what kind of work outs is he doing? Does his trainer know?

    ReplyDelete